from No Jacket Required – Neiman Marcus
2 pounds Laramie Cattle beef, cut in 2-inch cubes
1/2 cup flour
2 to 3 tablespoons oil for browning
1 large onion cut in ¼-inch-thick slices
8 to 12 ounces mushrooms, quartered
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1½ tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 bay leaf
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 (14.5-ounce) can beef broth
1 can beer
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Dredge beef with flour, and brown in oil in a skillet.
- Transfer to a casserole dish, reserving the pan droppings.
- Add onion and mushrooms to the casserole dish, and set aside.
- In the pan drippings, brown garlic. Add sugar, parsley, bay leaf, thyme, salt, pepper, broth, and beer. Pour into the casserole dish, covering beef, onions, and mushrooms.
- Cover, and bake for 2 hours and 30 minutes, or until tender. Uncover, add vinegar, and return to the oven until hot and bubbly. Serve over noodles.
Serves 4 to 6